It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:12 pm 
Forum Shopaholic

Yeah, I see what you're saying about the other animals that get killed for food, like the pigs and chickens and that. But I think it's different in a way with whales, because whereas we kill a chicken for the meat for food, Whales are actually being hunted by these people. And whereas chickens can be found on land over the world, the whales can only be found in the oceans and I know they're pretty massive, but that means that the hunters can come in by boat with a huge net and take however many whales they like and the chances of catching those baby whales are quite high, meaning they won't get to live their life and also meaning that they could become extinct quite rapidly. I mean we know that these people have got to eat, but it's the fact that the whales are a form of hunting to some of these people and not just the whales that have lived their life, but babies as well and some are willing to hurt other people so they can get away with capturing these whales.

Can you see what I mean? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:13 pm 
I love it here

i remember watching a documentary some years back around 1995. it was about the food industry somewhere in the far east. china, japan or one of those places. they had cameras in the kitchens cooking live cats, yes ALIVE. they were picking them up by their tails and putting them in boiling hot fat screeching,. it was bloody horrible.

so when people moan about vermin, i think it's our species that's it, not the foxes (nevermind out inhumane foodchains foxes gotta eat too, and at least they kill the chickens naturally). we won't be satisfied until there's nothing left to consume. that's why many big businesses call us consumers, i can't stand that word for some reason. bah :mad:

as for whaling, i'm with everyone else too. it should be outlawed with no more loopholes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:53 pm 
Administrator

Yeah, we all know at the back of our minds about the cruelty involved in a lot of the meat production, but we just turn a blind eye when faced with cheap meat and special offers. But it's us as consumers (sorry sonnetone!) that create the demand. We should be more selective about the food we buy and eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:46 pm 
Mod - friendly soul with grumpy days

Amber wrote:
chances of catching those baby whales are quite high, meaning they won't get to live their life

all those calves and lambs and piglets never get to live their lives either...

i'm not saying whale-hunting is o.k., absolutely not,

i just think it's hypocritical sometimes how the public cares about some things and screams "Scandal!" whilst the same people don't bother about other, very similar and as bad things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:26 pm 
Administrator

Maybe Amber was just responding to your comment that "at least whales have a good life, swimming in the ocean".... :wink:

I think the main concern is that whales are endangered, but yes I suppose it IS harder to get worked up about an endangered worm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:31 pm 
Getting obsessed with this place

One of the reaons I'm a against killing any animals is cause there use to be a slauaghter house near the school I use to go to so I passed it every day so I use to see the cows coming in on the lorry which was really upsetting. Then there was this horrible smell and sounds that came from it. Then one day a guy that worked there came out and he had this white overall on that was covered in blood. Some people I was with started shouting abuse at the guy. I thought I was going to collapse. It was really upsetting and made me think differently about eating meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:33 pm 
Administrator

I'd have probably reacted the same way.